Dear Friends…. For this holiday, our family decided to gift togetherness and adventure rather than pretty wrapped gifts. Money spent on frivolous sparkly items, soft gloves, warm hats, the newest and best gimmicks of the season will instead go to staying and playing together in a small town in New Mexico. We will cook, play games, visit local sites plus tour the art and vibe of Santa Fe. Memories will be made, laughter will flow and lots of conversations about the meaning of life will be heard.
Most of us have what we need and want in the form of “stuff”. It is hard to find and buy something special when our individual abundance is overflowing. Being with family and friends while exploring new territory is the deliciousness for this holiday.
If you are interested in enjoying a different holiday, consider these ideas:
1. Create a family/friend adventure like a hike in the woods, attending a music festival or art show rather than a visit to the mall.
2. Gift others your time. Call, write or visit a friend you think about but have not seen for a while. Volunteering to help others can make your holiday bright.
3. White elephant gift exchanges are fun and silly. Using the resources of thrift shops will add to the allure of surprising presents.
4. Be creative with your food – do an international holiday party complete with music of the countries you choose.
5. Add awareness, presence, love and ease to each moment of your preparation, creation, conversations, adventures and cleanup. The holidays are special because of countless opportunities to relish and tune in to what is around you, especially those you love.
I wish each of you a very deliciously sweet and wonderful holiday!!
Thich Nhat Hanh reminds us: “The most precious gift we can offer others is our presence. When mindfulness embraces those we love, they will bloom like flowers.”